Thursday, December 1, 2011

                This week I want to address something that has been on my mind for a while now.  This is our desire for safety in numbers.  Now the problem with this mentality is when it applies to our own personal failings.  This one’s more directed at you, Christians.  We like to lay back into the thought that “everyone struggles with it.”  We like to hide ourselves in the cloud of other’s sins.  This is despicable.
                One of the biggest themes in the Bible is that of facing up to things and being strong and courageous.  Being strong is not accepting an “everyone has this problem” answer.  There is no excuse for our sin and we need to know this.
                It is so easy to slip into this.  I find my thoughts drifting towards just how horrible others are and how insignificant my sins must be, but it is this mindset that makes me much worse than others.  I am lightening my load because someone seems like they are worse.  I am becoming unrepentant for the wrongs I have committed.  At least those whose sin might seem greater genuinely repent of their sin.  This “safety in numbers” mindset is a dangerous one that makes less of our wrongdoing.  Think about it: would you like it much if your friend hurt you in some way and passed it off as nothing?  If he or she said something to the effect of “worse things have happened?”
                I’d ask you to keep this in mind as you go throughout your day.  Are you lessening your own load because someone else stumbles more publicly?  Are you making light of things that are severe?  

No comments:

Post a Comment